Registered Data Submitters can share their datasets with registered team members to collaborate on data publications directly on ESS-DIVE. Learn more about this feature here.
Table of Contents
Figure 1: The Sharing Options window is used to share datasets with others
To share a dataset on ESS-DIVE means that you have given or received permission to view, edit, or manage a dataset.
Sharing a dataset with other people registered to contribute data on ESS-DIVE will allow them to:
- view private datasets,
- change metadata,
- add/remove files,
- publish the dataset, and
- share the dataset with others
—depending on how the dataset access permissions are set up.
When you give someone permission to access your dataset (i.e. when you share your dataset with someone), they will be able to access all metadata and data files. Dataset permissions can be changed at any time. The various permission types available are described further in the Permission Types section.
There are many reasons you may consider sharing datasets on ESS-DIVE. A few possible motivations are:
- You need a team member to review your dataset before publication
- A project manager needs to have access to datasets generated by the project, whether they are already published or in progress
- Your team member uploaded a dataset to ESS-DIVE using the Package Service API and you need access to manage or edit it
- A team member started a dataset but someone else needs to complete it
- Datasets can only be shared with individuals. There is no way to share datasets with Projects or other pre-defined groups of people.
- Concurrent editing is not possible, only the changes made in the latest submission will be retained and it will overwrite all previous edits.
- You cannot see who has access to a dataset unless you are able to share that dataset. See the Permission Types section to find out who can share a dataset.
- There is currently no way to review permissions for more than one dataset at once. To review dataset permission, you will need to open the Share Options window (Figure 1) on each dataset individually. See the How to Share a Dataset section to learn how to open the Share Options window.
- During publication reviews, only the (a) dataset creator and (b) last person to edit the dataset will be included in the publication review conversation. Ask the ESS-DIVE Publication Team** to add people to or remove people from the review conversation.
- The person who originally created the dataset cannot be removed from the dataset share permissions.
**Contact the Publication Team once the review process has started
There are three permission types to choose from when sharing your dataset with a registered team member*:
This team member can read the dataset when it's private. They cannot edit or share the dataset. This team member does not need to register, but does need to login to ESS-DIVE.
The dataset can be found on the search page when they login to ESS-DIVE.
This registered* team member can read the dataset when it's private, change the dataset metadata, add/remove files, publish the dataset, and edit the dataset after it is published. They cannot share the dataset with others.
The dataset can be found in their "My Data" list.
This registered* team member has all the same access abilities as an editor, and they can share the dataset with other people or remove people from the dataset permissions.
The dataset can be found in their "My Data" list.
Table 1: There are three kinds of permission types that you can grant to your team members when you share your dataset
*this person completed the New Data Contributor form and was approved to edit and submit metadata to ESS-DIVE
The person who originally created the dataset will always have access to the dataset
If you have access to manage a dataset, you can follow these steps to change dataset permissions through the ESS-DIVE dataset landing page:
- 1.On the dataset landing page, select the Edit button (Figure 1).
- 2.Once in edit mode, you will see the Share button next to the Add/Remove buttons. Select the Share button (Figure 2).
- 3.A new window will appear titled “Sharing Options” (Figure 3), you will see a table that shows you who already has access to the dataset and what permission type they have. By default the dataset creator has manage permissions.
- 4.Share the dataset with new people by searching for their first or last names in the search bar** (Figure 4). Select the appropriate name to be added to the list of people with dataset permissions.
- 5.Modify existing permission types using the dropdown bars under the Access column (Figure 5).
- 6.Review your changes and hit Save.
- 7.When you have finished sharing your dataset, Submit your changes to ESS-DIVE.
**Only people who have logged into ESS-DIVE using their ORCID can be found in the Sharing Options search bar.
Figure 1: To share your dataset, open your dataset landing page and click the Edit button
Figure 2: Select the Share button located to the left of the Add Files button
Figure 3: Review who the dataset is currently shared with
Figure 4: Search for your team members using their first or last names. Selecting their names will automatically add them to the list
Figure 5: Change existing access levels using the dropdown bars in the Access column, if needed.
Figure 6: Make sure to save all changes before closing the window and submitting your dataset edits to ESS-DIVE
You can also share datasets programmatically using ESS-DIVE's Dataset API.
Visit the Dataset API Tutorial page to learn more about this service. Details on how to write HTTP requests to (1) change dataset permissions and (2) review access permissions are available via the Data Package Sharing section of ESS-DIVE's technical documentation page, hosted at https://api.ess-dive.lbl.gov/.
When someone grants you permission to edit or manage a dataset, you can find that dataset in your “My Data” settings.
Click on your profile in the top right corner and select “My Data Packages” from the dropdown menu (Figure 7). This will automatically filter the data search page by datasets that you (a) created yourself, (b) have permission to edit, and (c) have permission to manage. You can then use the search filters to locate the shared dataset you are looking for (Figure 8).
Figure 7: Select “My Data Packages” from the dropdown menu
Figure 8: The "My Data Packages" dropdown will automatically apply a filter to the data search page
If you were granted permission to view a dataset, this dataset will not be on your "My Data Packages" page. You can find these datasets by using the search filters on the data search page (https://data.ess-dive.lbl.gov/data). We recommend searching by project title, the dataset creator name, or the dataset title.
Head to our Data Portal guide to learn how to share data portals.