Share Data Permissions
Registered data contributors can share their datasets and data portals with other individuals or teams to collaborate directly on ESS-DIVE.
When you share permissions to a dataset or data portal, you can choose whether people can view private content, edit content, or manage share permissions for that dataset or data portal.
You can share permissions with project teams or any individual who has logged into ESS-DIVE using their ORCID. But only registered data contributors will be able to edit content or manage permissions.
Figure 1: The Sharing Options window is used to select which individuals or teams you'd like to share your dataset with
There are many reasons you may consider sharing data on ESS-DIVE, some reasons include:
- You need someone to review your dataset before publication
- A project manager needs to have access to both private and public datasets generated by your project
- A team member submitted a dataset to ESS-DIVE using the Package Service API and you need to manage or edit it
- You created a data portal and you need a team member to help contribute to the pages
- A team member started a dataset or data portal but someone else needs to complete it
- Concurrent editing is not possible, only the changes made in the latest submission will be retained and it will overwrite all previous edits.
- You cannot see who has access to a dataset or data portal unless you have "manage" permissions.
- There is currently no way to review permissions for more than one dataset or data portal at once. To review dataset permission, you will need to open the Share Options window (Figure 1) on each dataset or portal individually.
- The person who originally created the dataset cannot be removed from the dataset share permissions.
There are three permission types to choose from when sharing your dataset with a registered team member*:
Table 1: There are three permission types that you can grant to your team members when you share your dataset
The person who originally created the dataset will always have access to the dataset
When someone grants you permission to edit or manage a dataset, you can find that dataset in your “My Data” settings. Only registered data contributor will be able to edit or manage datasets.
Click on your profile in the top right corner and select “My Data Packages” from the dropdown menu (Figure 2). This will automatically filter the data search page by datasets that you (a) created yourself, (b) have permission to edit, and (c) have permission to manage. You can then use the search filters to locate the shared dataset you are looking for (Figure 3).
If you were granted permission to view a dataset, this dataset will not be on your "My Data Packages" page. You can find these datasets by using the search filters on the data search page (https://data.ess-dive.lbl.gov/data). We recommend searching by project title, the dataset creator name, or the dataset title.
Figure 2: Select “My Data Packages” from the dropdown menu
Figure 3: The "My Data Packages" dropdown will automatically apply a filter to the data search page